22.10.17

Helsinki International Horse Show 2017

Like I already wrote on the blog's Facebook page, Helsinki International Horse Show is always then highlight of my year and whenever we have lived in Finland my parents and I always try to go for at least for one of the days. Although there are plenty of big shows throughout the year, HIHS is the one to go to especially because lots of international riders come for the World Cup™ Jumping classes.
Daniel Deusser riding Cornet, photo from SRL's Facebook page SRL Laura Laakso
Cantinero, photo from SRL's Facebook page SRL Laura Laakso
One part of the expo-hall, photo from SRL's Facebook page SRL Laura Laakso

I was fortunate enough to get tickets for Friday night, which I think is the best day to go because the first day is always a bit meh but on the second day everything flows so much better and everyone is a lot more relaxed! Although the national classes started already at 8am, the international classes began only at 3pm so I was in no rush getting to the show until the afternoon. But goodness me, was the place FULL once I did get there, there were so many people in the expo-hall that at a certain point I ended feeling kinda claustrophobic so I quickly left and went to watch the warm up arena with a couple of friends. I ended up going back to the shopping area once the international classes had started and most people were watching that rather than shopping so that I could shop in peace 🤗 
It was AMAZING to watch the 1.45m international class in the evening. It was so interesting to watch how all of the riders had different approaches to certain jumps and how the canter of the horse meant that the rider had to chose a certain amount of strides - the dressage rider in me loved those horses that had a canter which looked like they could do a perfect pirouette. A couple of riders just had basic snaffle bridles and what looked like quite soft bits which honestly made my heart sing a bit! My biggest gripe with international SJ is the amount of bits and 'stuff' that some riders use, so I was in awe that there was only one rider who had a weird contraption of a bridle that had a noseband which was on way too tight - hopefully the new noseband tightness rules in Denmark will influence other countries to introduce similar rules asap!
Photo borrowed from this blog
Photo borrowed from this blog  
Also major points to the creators of these jumps, not only was the course challenging for the riders and interesting for the spectators but they were also really aesthetically pleasing! This one below was my favourite for sure, celebrating Finland's 100 year independence 🇫🇮💙
Photo borrowed from this blog 

4 comments:

  1. That looks like an amazing show to attend! I'm very jealous since I don't have access to that type of show very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fab! There are lots of shows like this in the UK but this is the only one this amazing in Finland.

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of the Congress or AQHA World Show, but much much more glamorous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it wasn't that glamorous haha! But I do love it 🙈

      Delete