24.3.19

Ifor Williams HBX511 trailer review

Ever since moving to Wiltshire last autumn, we've been indecisive between buying a small 3.5t horsebox or getting a big car and a trailer combination. Although we initially leaned towards the small horsebox (mum and I could both drive it, it's easy to drive and to park and we both like horseboxes) but in the end we've settled with going back to the trusty 4x4 and trailer combination.
Our previous trailer was an Ifor Williams and as every single horse travelled well in it, we were keen to stay with the brand. Once we started looking at what was available, my lovely dad stated that there was little point getting a used old style 511, and decided that we could go look at the new HBX style! I was so excited on our way to look at the demo trailer, and I was not disappointed when we got there. It's SO light and I love the look of the new sleek and aerodynamic style, and the new features in it just look so nice. All in all, it is a really bright and very airy trailer! All the horses who travelled in our old 511 trailer loaded and travelled well in it, so we knew going for another 511 would be a good choice as there's nothing worse than unhappy horses who don't like to travel in the trailer! It has the front unloading door, which is something that I couldn't ever live without anymore, it's so much safer and easier for the horses.
The sides, floor and ramps of the HBX range are manufactured entirely from aluminium planking. This lightweight structure makes the horsebox easy to tow, and since it's lighter than our older trailer it is fantastic for our car! Other cool features are the ability to open the rear of the horsebox as both a ramp and a side-hinged door, which makes cleaning out the horsebox much easier and there'll be nothing stuck the ramp. It also means you can have easy forklift access to the rear of the horse box - so if you're buying a pallet full of feed or shavings it's a lot easier to fill up the trailer. There's also the option to open the front windows fully, or just a little with the push bracket (I like this option!). Moreover there is the high level brake light at the back means that everyone behind us can see the brake light. An additional feature which we've gone for to increase the horses' comfort is padded breast bars which is so much softer.

Here are some more photos:
I really can't recommend this trailer enough. I personally think that Ifor Williams trailers are the best, and this new HBX version is just a better version of the older 511s. For any horse that dislikes loading onto the trailer or travelling, I believe these trailers are perfect for them.

8 comments:

  1. It's a pity what ifor williams have done with the new model ,they are intent on making the box's lighter and more expensive .such a pity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this review, so helpful to me and now I've made up my mind to get one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you choose the 511 if i may ask?! I am almost getting the hbx506 and leave my hb511 there.. but now I am in doubt. Do you have big horses or is it your experience that this is better for the horses ? Maybe just in time to change my order !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it's a little bit bigger and SO much lighter so all the horses are happier to walk in and have travelled so much better.

      Delete
  4. I've had this float for two days, I've found the float can get rattly with the breeching bars. And on the second day the back half of the divider (which was put on an angle and secured for my horse to get more room) rattled out of place and fell to the empty bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh that sounds terrible! Did you get in contact with your sales rep/company or even Ifor Williams themselves? I'm sure they'd be interested in helping to fix these issues

      Delete