3.6.19

The benefits of field work & hacking out

Whenever it's a gorgeous hot summers day, I always feel like I shouldn't spend it in the arena training the horses but instead I want to go out into the fields or go out for a hack - they all deserve a bit of fun! 💚 Now that we've found a nice quiet local woodland to hack around, I've gained a bit of a hacking out obsession with Vallu. In fact last autumn I spent a lot of time with him 'hacking' around the field, but every single time I've gone there with him he has spooked/spun/tanked off with me, so I was a bit apprehensive about going back out into the 'real' world. The first time a few weeks ago he was a little look-y, but last weekend despite the new route he decided that actually this was fun and I had a lovely time. We all know how those first few rides somewhere 'different' can be so demoralising when it seems that the horses decide to forget everything they've ever known.... So I've not been brave enough to take Melisse outside of home, but I am VERY pleased that she has been hoof perfect in the big field! This made me think about all the benefits of field work & hacking out:

1. Improves your horse's fitness:
Chalking up the miles is so good for your horse’s overall fitness levels. Whilst hacking you're able to do hill work which helps build your horses strength from behind. Getting your horse to work on different and sometimes uneven surfaces helps with their coordination and ability to balance, which then increases the quality of their work in the arena.

2. Engages your horse’s brain:
Hacking provides variety in your horse’s work routine, which is SO important for keeping them interested in their work and keeping them happy! Happy horse = happy athlete! 
3. Helps to ease any stiffness:
Hacking out and doing field work especially if you've got any inclines or hills near you is perfect for keeping any stiffness or filled legs at bay, especially if your horse is slightly older. I've noticed a big difference in Vallu's legs as his lymphathic system is working better and despite the increase in temperatures his legs look like they do in winter and he's not got any windgalls! 👏🏻

4. Boosts you & your horse’s confidence:
Getting your horse out and about regularly to places where they've got to cope with new and different things, sights and sounds is one of the best ways to make them brave – mine tend to be much nicer to ride at home after being out for hack, rather than being spooky horses. I also believe that hacking is a great way for the rider to gain trust in their horse, which improves the bond between horse and rider and the rider's confidence.

5. Perfects your horse's free walk:
A horse is more likely to be marching along when out hacking and going forwards. This makes it SO easier to encourage them to stretch down on a long rein compared to in an arena, where at least my horses don't walk as well! Going up and down hills also means that as the horse becomes stronger and more balanced, you automatically end up with a better walk. 
Our nice weather is too inconsistent (I'm a happy hacker!) and the chance of hacking out in winter is so slim, and I'll be stuck in the arena for far too long come winter again. There is so much training that can be done outside of the arena and I like to take as many opportunities as I can to get away from the arena. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving such a great information about horse products
    Your products are really good to use
    I'm very crazy about horses
    keep doing well
    wholesale tack manufacturer

    ReplyDelete