11.10.13

Great week

I think I should start writing a politics blog instead of a horse blog, considering the fact that I'm now spending most of my time running between home, lectures, and the library... One of the great things that I've found out this week is how much I am actually enjoying studying politics, so it seems like the decision to move myself and Vallu here was a good one! My apologies to everyone who reads my blog, I know that I've been a very bad blogger, it's been a week since I've blogged about anything. The days just pass by so quickly, once I'm done riding, I get home and start reading/working on my essay/lecture notes. It's a crazy life ;)

Waiting in the Millennium Garden for a lecture to start
Studying by the lake
Now onto the horsey stuff...

I'm keeping to a very varied plan with Vallu, so that we don't do the same stuff two days in a row, and oh boyyyy is it working well! During this week since I've last blogged, I've had four of the most fabulous life changing rides ever. 


On Saturday I rode Vallu in a double bridle for the first time since moving to the UK, and it was a good day to wear it. The yard we're at had a British SJ competition going on still when I rode Vallu, and I had to try every trick that I knew to get Vallu to listen to me, even for a second in every minute. Riding a hot horse during a show jumping competition is something that every rider should go through. Really gives an intense workout for those riding related braincells!

On Monday we went out for a proper hack out and we got to trot and canter! It was a Monday evening, I'd had an entire day of uni and was so tired. If I didn't trust Vallu as much as I do, I don't think I'd have  gone out for a hack that tired, simply because my reaction times were so slow. Luckily Vallu behaved perfectly, and since I was tired, I wasn't nervous so I managed to pick up my courage and try trotting and cantering. It was so much fun, and I'm pretty sure Vallu loved it too

So going along with my ride different stuff everyday plan, it meant that on Tuesday we did proper work, and Vallu attempted to look like proper dressage pony. For reasons that I can't figure out, our flying changes have really gone downhill since the move over here. They're not straight, Vallu often kicks to the side (even when I'm sure that I'm not touching him with the spur etc) and they aren't on time. Since I haven't had any lessons, I decided to simplify the situation and just do a single flying change whenever he felt good, and if he didn't feel good then just carry on and end up doing counter-canter. This ended up being a fantastic exercise which, after doing two or three times, has resulted in the flying changes being better than ever.

Wednesday ended up just being a walk day, where we did lots of leg yields and shoulder in. It was too windy for me to even try and attempt trot or canter because I knew that it wouldn't end well. One of the most important lessons that I learnt when riding Basse when he was a youngster was that if either of you is in a bad mood, don't try doing anything complicated, and stick to something that is very safe and easy for both of you

Thursday's ride was most likely the best ride of my life. Vallu was just perfect right from the beginning, and everything just clicked together. Vallu's canter has always been his strongest pace, but on Thursday he trotted as if he was at the Olympics. Everything that I worked towards during the summer with Sanna, getting Vallu to trot with his neck up and round, truly on the bit, hindlegs underneath and pushing him forwards and soft and up in the back finally happened! Some times the things that you try working towards but never quite get it take time, and will end up happening months later. 
"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success."Napoleon Hill
Finger's crossed that next week is just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment