18.9.17

Ride more, worry less

It's been well over 6 weeks now that Basse has been off work. He's not been lame or anything like that, but the muscles in his back and around his pelvis were inflamed and sore so I've just been waiting and praying for him to get better. There's always something that we can worry about our horses isn't there? He's had lots of days off and lots of turn out, as well going hacking and a little bit of lunging work, and I think I've ridden him 'properly' a maximum of 5 times during this time.
Last weekend our chiropractor came to treat all the horses once again and I was incredibly nervous! I didn't think I would be, but I could feel myself shaking a bit before she started to work on Basse. I was very pleased to be told that his back was much better and that now I just need to get him moving a lot. I have 2 to 3 weeks of riding him mainly in trot and always long and low, which is something that he loves to do, but only once he has actually figured out where he his head and neck are meant to go - before these pictures he mainly resembled a giraffe.

It was amazing to feel the difference in him after 6 weeks off, lots of massages and 2 chiro treatments. I've now just got to ride more and worry less! I am a natural worrier,  but clearly from how happy he was feeling after the treatment and how well he looks in these photos I have just got to stay patient and trust the journey we are on.


6 comments:

  1. yay for getting a clean bill of health after his latest appointment! i always kinda had similar issues with my last mare -- she would get very sore and problematic in her back, and the best remedy was more purposeful strength-building ridden work. Basse looks great in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm so glad you think he looks good, he felt fab!! Just have to learn to look at his body more and not just listen to him since he likes his work so much so that I don't let his back get too bad!

      Delete
  2. I'm a natural worrier too when it comes to my animals and my kids. It sounds like Basse is getting the best help and coming along beautifully. I'm so glad he is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other day one of my non-horsey friends said to me that "those horses are your babies" so maybe I'm just channeling my inner maternal instincts and worrying like a mum would! I'm so relieved that he looks better-

      Delete
  3. I just read this post and last night my horse was extremely stiff and I had to basically just walk. The chiropractor is coming today. He got cast last week and we think he might still be sore from that trauma. It's amazing the common themes of horse worries and issues we all experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh poor him :( I know a couple of horses who have taken a month to get better after getting cast! And yes I agree, I do think we all have had experiences of having to worry about our horses and can therefore empathise!

      Delete